TASBooks Version 2 support
Installing your TASBooks v2 upgrade
Is it complicated?
We don't believe in making things complicated, so we've made sure it really is simple and straightforward to upgrade to TASBooks v2.
Like many things, a little bit of preparation will help the process go smoothly. Some of the things you'll need to do are a bit different from how they've worked when upgrading to previous versions of TASBooks; so it is important to do complete each step fully and in the correct order.
To help you prepare, we've listed the things you'll need to check before installing your upgrade to TASBooks v2. And to show you exactly what's involved in upgrading to TASBooks v2, there's a Step-by-step guide to upgrading your TASBooks below.
Things to check
- Check your TASBooks setup. TASBooks can be setup as a single computer, workgroup or network. You'll need to know which type of setup you have and make sure you have the appropriate TASBooks licence for that type of setup. If you have a workgroup or network setup, you'll also need to make sure that you have a licence for the correct number of users.
- Check your system. Your computers and your network must meet the minimum system requirements to run TASBooks.
- Check your version of Windows is up to date. Microsoft release regular updates and service packs for the different versions of Windows, which you may need in order to install TASBooks v1. If the version of Windows you are using needs to be updated with a service pack, the TASBooks installation wizard will let you know. We always recommend that you use Windows Update regularly to ensure that your copy of Windows has the latest updates to keep your system secure.
- Take a backup of your data before you start. A power cut when you're part-way through upgrading could damage your data beyond repair. So it's really important that you take a backup, just to be on the safe side. You'll also need backups of each of your companies to transfer your information to your new TASBooks program.
- Make sure you are logged into Windows as an Administrator, or a user with full Administrator rights. Windows may request permission to install the program on your computer, or request an Administrator password.
- Allow yourself enough time. Once you start the process of upgrading to TASBooks v2, no-one will be able to use TASBooks until you have finished. In most cases, the actual upgrading of the data will only take a few minutes - but if you have been using TASBooks for many years and your TASBooks dataset is large, it could take an hour or more to upgrade the data to TASBooks v2. So you might want to wait until the end of the working day before installing the upgrade.
- Make sure you have your TASBooks v2 activation code. You will need to activate TASBooks v2 before you can start using the program. If you don't have the new activation code to hand, you can email email@example.com to obtain it. If you're upgrading to a network edition of TASBooks, you'll also need a Pervasive Summit licence key. If you don't have it to hand, email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Step-by-step guide to upgrading your TASBooks to v2
Click a link below, with your type of TASBooks setup, for a step-by-step guide on how to upgrade to TASBooks v2.
- TASBooks v2 - single computer
- TASBooks v2 - single computer with data stored remotely
- TASBooks v2 - workgroup
- TASBooks v2 - network
Please note that TAS Software are not responsible for setting up your network and do not support the use of Peer-to-peer networks.
The following LAN Networks are recommended:
- Microsoft Windows NT Server version 4.0 - Service Pack 4 or above (latest is 6)
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server - Service Pack 2 or above (latest is 3)
- Novell Netware 4.0 or above
- Microsoft Windows 2003 Server Software (Tested only with Version 4)
The following Protocols are recommended:
- IPX/SPX (As well as TCP/IP if running Novell)
In terms of Network Maintenance, TAS recommends the following:
- Networks should be administered by competent personnel
- Networks should be serviced regularly by competent personnel
- Network servers should be located securely
- Network servers should be rebooted regularly
- Have at least 200 MB available Hard Disk Drive space on the Server
- Have at least 500 MB available Hard Disk Drive space on each Workstation
- Ensure that there is at least 512 MB (1GB on Vista) available RAM memory on each machine
- Ensure that protocols are uniform throughout the office
- Put a regular Backup Routine in place
- Do not install the TAS Application on the server
- When installing TAS, ensure the user is logged onto the PC as the Administrator
- TAS can be run using Pervasive software in place of Btrieve. Pervasive makes the file handling of the network more reliable and faster, but does not in anyway change the operation of the software.
- Before installing, ensure that all PC's with access to the TAS data files have full read / write access to the same mapped drive and data directory on your Network.
- Please note that TAS Software is not responsible for setting up your network and the use of Peer - to - Peer networks is only supported in TAS v8 and above
- Windows 2000/XP/Vista users must have sufficient access rights, and therefore should be logged on as Powers Users or equivalent to run TAS.
- Access rights to the Btrieve Registry Key must be given to any user who will be entering data into a TAS company
- Only print and post batches of sales orders from one machine at any one time
- Do not try to print more than 30 source documents through Microsoft Word (Invoices, Statements, Remittances etc.) at any one time
- Anti-virus software should be set to exclude *.b files , as these are TAS data files
- Wireless networking is far behind wired networking in terms of bandwidth and throughput. While (as of 2004) typical wireless devices for the consumer market can reach speeds of 54 megabits per second, wired hardware of similar cost reaches 1000Mbps.
Click here to go to TAS Network Recommendations in More Detail
Click here to go to Network Survey
The purpose of this document is to outline the restrictions specific to the services provided by the TAS Software Support Team. This document should be referenced in conjunction with the ‘Sage Hibernia Terms & Conditions of TASCover’ found at http://www.sage.ie/about/legal.aspx
Terms of your TAS Support Contract
The details below apply to TAS Books 1,2 & 3 and FirstBooks customers who have an active (i.e. fully paid) TASCover Support Contract.
Within the specified dates of your TAS Maintenance Contract the agreement entitles you to the following:
- To contact our Technical Support Helpline during operating hours
- To access the TAS Support Section of http://www.tassoftware.ie/tassoftware/support/support.html
- Response to e-mailed support queries within 24 operating hours
Please Note: The service is intended to assist you with technical queries relating to the use of your TAS Books 1,2 or 3 software. The support service is not intended to replace a reasonable level of operating knowledge of the programme. While we will endeavour to support you in your use of the software, it is expected that you will also endeavour to develop an understanding of how to use the software via either taught courses or self-training.
TAS Books 1,2 & 3 and FirstBooks supported Operating Systems:
Windows 2000 Professional on Version 7 and below
Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 and above
Windows Vista Business Edition
Selection of non-supported Operating Systems :
Windows 98 SE (Second Edition)
Windows NT 4 with Service Pack 6
Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional without Service Pack 2
Windows Vista Home Edition / Media Centre
Please note: Sage Hibernia maintain a policy of withdrawing support for any Microsoft Operating Systems which are no longer supported by Microsoft. Issues relating to unsupported operating systems may not be resolved by Sage Ireland Software Support or Software Development Teams. Visit http://www.sage.ie/about/legal.aspx for more information.
TAS Books 2 & 3 versions 7 and below are supported only when installed on Client/Server networks. The following network configurations are not supported:
Citrix client/server network
WAN (Wireless Area Network)
Any remote/terminal network
TAS Books 2 & 3 version 8 are supported only when installed on Client/Server networks and peer-to-peer. The following network configurations are not supported:
Citrix client/server network
WAN (Wireless Area Network)
Any remote/terminal network
Any network settings, mapping drives or connectivity queries are not supported by Sage Hibernia. Queries of this kind must be referred to your IT department or Network Administrator.
Please Note: TAS Books 1 and FirstBooks are available as a single user only.
TAS Books 1,2 & 3 and FristBooks require Internet Explorer v6.x or higher. Any versions lower than v6.x will not be supported.
MAPI compliant email clients are required to use the email functionality in TAS Books e.g.: Microsoft Outlook and Lotus Notes
Any non-MAPI clients will not be supported e.g.: Google, Yahoo and Hotmail
TAS Books will only print correctly on the printers below:
- Wide-carriage dot-matrix printers
- Laser Jet
- Ink Jet
Reports will not print correctly on the types of printers listed below
- Narrow-carriage printers
- Non-Sage PDF printers
If you require assistance with burning a backup to a CD you will need to contact your IT department or the manufacturer of your CD burning system.
Dave said: With a TAS e-payment plug in you can take payment information from your TAS program to send to your banks internet or pc banking software.This helps cut down on errors because you don’t have to manually re-enter the info into your banking software.
TAS e-payments plug-ins can work with software from all the major banks in Ireland.
If you need help in setting up or using your banking software you will need to contact your bank. If you have any error message when importing your payment file into the bank software let us know what it is and we will see if it is something we can help with.
TAS Software Integration with Quickpay
Setting up Payroll Integration to your accounting system can be complex as a result of the need to adapt to the individual configuration of your own nominal ledger. For this reason, the setup of Nominal integration in Quickpay it cannot be handled over the phone. Please refer to the Knowledgebase Article on Nominal Integration available from our website.
If you require on-site assistance please contact our sales team on 1800 255 300 to arrange a consultation with our Professional Services Team.
Webex is a support tool that support use to remotely log in to a customer’s PC to assist with troubleshooting. Remote Support provides a rich and dynamic environment for conducting real-time customer support sessions over the Web. Support can view and remotely control a customer's applications or entire desktop to analyse and resolve technical issues. This tool is only used if the standard trouble shooting alternatives have been exhausted. Webex is for viewing the customers information and running utilities etc…Please be aware this tool can not be used as a tutorial tool .tutorials are carried over through webinars please contact business advise on 1890 88 20 60 choose option 4.