introduction to bookkeeping
1 day course
This course revolves around the fundamentals that apply in bookkeeping and accounting. Basic concepts and skills are introduced as you discover everything you need to know about double entry bookkeeping and the nominal/general ledger, sales and purchase ledgers, helping you to appreciate and gain an insight to the mechanics of your software system.
This course is for you if you are new to bookkeeping and the nominal ledger. You will also find it useful if you have some experience in debt chasing and basic sales ledger operation. It is not suitable for experienced bookkeepers or those familiar with accounting software. No prior accounting knowledge is required.
suggested follow-up courses
- Double Entry: Identify the differences between debits and credits and learn basic double entry. The user will understand the principal that every transaction made has a double impact on the business
- Nominal Ledger: Discover the reason for nominal ledger analysis. The user is shown how to create the nominal ledger and how it is used to record the double entry system
- Trial Balance: Learn how to create trial balances. The user will know how to produce management reports from the trial balances, Profit & Loss and Balance Sheet.
- Bank Accounts: Understand banking double entry. How payments and receipts for the business are dealt with.
- VAT: Learn how to record VAT using double entry. Understanding how VAT is dealt with on a business level.
- Control Accounts: Gain knowledge of debtors and creditors control accounts. The user will understand the need for good credit control.
- Sales Ledger: Learn how to operate a sales ledger that links to the nominal ledger. The user will learn to enter sales transactions and which nominal accounts these will effect.
- Purchase Ledger: Learn how to operate a purchase ledger that links to the nominal ledger. The user will learn to enter sales transactions and which nominal accounts these will effect.
- After this course the user will have a comprehensive understanding of double entry bookkeeping.
- The information gained will enable the user to answer various questions concerning the profitability and worth of the business and also gain an understanding of debt chasing and money management.
- The user will appreciate the benefits of a computerised accounts system.
- Reduced amount of paperwork and time spent in the process of writing up accounts.
- Instant Accounts Stage 1
- Sage 50 Stage 1
- TAS Books Stage 1
- TAS Books 1 Product Training